TitleResearch Specialist - Division of Nephrology
LocationUniversity of Arizona Health Sciences
The Division of Nephrology and the Arizona Kidney and Vascular Center is recruiting for a Research Specialist. The ideal Research Specialist will have a strong medical translational research background and a proven record in rodent surgery, preferably in vascular surgery/microsurgery, who would be able to perform a variety of advanced surgical procedures in a cutting edge translational research laboratory that is focused on uremic vascular biology and animal model development. The selected candidate would be involved in a variety of preclinical studies involving highly skilled vascular surgery procedures in rodent and non-rodent models, genetically modified rodent colony management, postoperative animal care and clinical follow up procedures (US, MRI, CT) and tissue sample harvesting. Ample opportunities for academic growth, mentorship and career path development would be provided.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. has been listed by Forbes as one of Americas Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***., please .
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform and assist in general surgery, vascular surgery and microsurgery as well as interventional procedures in different rodent and non-rodent pre-clinical translational models.
- Perform, assist or supervise a variety of clinical and non-clinical follow up procedures including but not limited to: vascular auscultation and ultrasound, MRI and micro-MRI, CT and micro-CT scanning, fluoroscopy angiography.
- Accurately manage and tabulate data from a transgenic mouse-breading colony.
- Generate and maintain accurate experimental databases, progress reports and presentations.
- Collaborate in developing and building up new innovative research approaches, surgical and laboratory techniques to support current and prospective grants.
- Develop and support innovative approaches to contribute to the improvement of the understanding in the area of dialysis vascular access.
- Conduct collaborative and interdisciplinary research in partnership with industry, research institutions, and other divisions within **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. and the BIO-5 Institute.
- Teach, support, and supervise students and visiting scientists in the lab.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability and motivation to promote continuing improvement and education.
- Ability to show respect and appreciation for the uniqueness of all individuals; leveraging differences in others perspectives and ideas; appreciating cultural differences and adjusting ones approach to successfully integrate with others who are different from oneself.
- Possess strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates an independent work initiative, sound judgment, diplomacy, tact and professional demeanor.
- Prioritization and time-management skills sufficient to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Analytical ability sufficient to evaluate data, make judgments and recommendations.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Capable of utilizing research techniques in application to pre-clinical research and serving as a resource for educational opportunities in these areas.
See Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications below.
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
Bachelors degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND two years related research experience; OR, Six years research experience appropriate to the area of assignment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques for pre-clinical research.
- Experience with animal research protocols, development and regulations.
- Motivated to provide high quality, compliant pre-clinical research.
- Skill in maintaining detailed records.
- Desire to build and expand the division research program.
- Ability to work easily with a diverse team.
Full Time/Part TimeFull Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week40
Benefits EligibleYes - Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay$31,125 - $38,443 Annually, DOE
Type of criminal background check required:Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information
Number of VacanciesOne
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Limited to Current UA EmployeesNo
Contact Information for Candidates
Review Start Date06/06/2018
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Internal Postings
At **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***., we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?