North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC, United States
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The NC State College of Veterinary Medicine is where compassion meets science. Our mission, is to advance the veterinary profession and animal health through ongoing discovery and medical innovation; provide animals and their owners with extraordinary, compassionate medical care; and prepare the next generation of veterinarians and veterinary research scientists.
Our world-leading faculty and clinicians are at the forefront of interdisciplinary biomedical innovation, conducting solution-driven research that defines the interconnections between animal and human health.
Essential Job Duties
The North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine seeks an outstanding Biostatistician to develop and provide statistical consulting services within the College.
The Biostatistician will work with faculty, graduate students and house officers from across the college on a diverse array of statistical needs, be part of teams and participate in interdisciplinary research initiatives. The goal of this position is to provide statistical consulting services and develop statistical educational programs for house officers and faculty. The job includes study design, monitoring and data collation, analyses, and interpretation of results. In addition to diverse analyses, the successful candidate is expected to document the analyses, create summaries, present results in written report and verbal form to faculty and students, write statistical text for study reports and publications as requested and prepare methods sections and analysis plans for incorporation into abstracts, manuscripts and grants.
In particular, the successful candidate will:
• Interact with clients (faculty, graduate students, clinical house officers [interns, residents] with varied levels of statistical and study design knowledge
• Contribute to study design, study synopsis review, protocol development, and statistical analysis plans
• Conduct data exploration and statistical analyses for both small and large data sets including sample size estimation, power calculations, basic statistics, general linear and mixed models, logistic regression, survival analysis, and Bayesian approaches
• Provide support for interpretation of study results
• Contribute to communication of results through writing statistical reports, assisting with abstracts and presentations, and contributing to the preparation of manuscripts
• Contribute to faculty and trainee statistical training through seminars and workshops
Good management skills, and the ability to do independent and collaborative work with PIs and associated researchers.
Requires a Masters (or higher) level degree in a related field such as statistics or biostatistics and at least 5 years of relevant experience.
Departmental Required Skills
• Demonstrated ability to run a statistical consulting service, and vision for building a statistical consulting service within the College of Veterinary Medicine.
• Advanced knowledge of commonly used statistical methods, descriptive and inferential statistics in biomedical and clinical research.
• Experience with, or good knowledge of, biology and medicine – sufficient to clearly understand the source and type of data being analyzed, and the questions being addressed.
• Advanced knowledge of most commonly used statistical packages:
, R or others.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Expertise in analysis of high-frequency longitudinal data is desired.
Required License or Certification
Applications should include a cover letter specifying credentials and consulting experience, current curriculum vitae, and the contact information of three professional references.
Job Open Date
Anticipated Closing Date
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?
Proposed Hire Date
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
North Carolina State University
Website : http://www.ncsu.edu
This is the new ncsu.edu, launched in August 2014. This redesigned site offers users an experience that reflects NC State itself. Innovative. Purposeful. Modern. Regular users will notice something immediately about this site: There’s less of it. In redesigning and rebuilding ncsu.edu, we considered the value of every page and subpage, removing content that lacked utility and erasing barriers between users and the information they seek. We took a similar approach to design. The redesigned site is cleaner and brighter, giving its content room to breathe and tell our story. We also streamlined and clarified the organization of ncsu.edu. Primary navigation on our homepage and throughout ncsu.edu is organized around topics: About NC State, Admissions, Research, Academics, Partnerships, Campus Life, Outreach and Athletics. On these pages and the homepage itself, you’ll learn about our world-leading faculty and staff, high-performing students and the solution-driven research and scholarship they produce.