University Research Co.,LLC
POSITION: Senior Researcher Technical Assistance Consultant Global Reading Network Consultancy
JOB ID: 570
# OF OPENINGS: 1
UNIVERSITY RESEARCH CO., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (http://www.urc-chs.com/).
University Research Co., LLC (URC) is a global company that works to improve the quality of health care, education and social services in the U.S. and around the world. Currently, URC is implementing activities in over 30 countries. The Reading with REACH project (REACH), is funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID), and managed by URC. REACH supports a community of practice, Global Reading Network (Network), which will build and share approaches to using evidence-based interventions for early grade reading program design and implementation. The Global Reading Network will:
* Foster technical leadership, knowledge sharing, and evidence building
* Fill the knowledge-practice gap through opportunities for dialogue, professional development, and collaborative activities aimed to improve the effectiveness, sustainability, and scaling up of early grade reading interventions
* Offer opportunities to design, pilot, and evaluate innovations to improve the effectiveness and sustainability of early grade reading interventions
* Create space for collective design and development of open source resources, including assessments, practitioner tools, and training materials that can be applied across contexts
* Identify social mobilization and behavior change strategies to gain the support of households, communities, and governments to help children become readers at home and in school
* Advocate for increased attention to the vital role of reading success in the primary grades
This consultancy will provide comprehensive research support for the REACH project including, but not necessarily limited to, the following:
* Desk-based literature searches
* Literature reviews
* Annotated bibliographies
* Contributing latest research/evidence in the field for White papers and training guides for FSOs/USAID officials.
* Translation of research papers into concrete guidance, tools, protocols and metrics
* Contributions to social media (e.g., blogs)
* Identification of research partners for collaborative activities
* Ongoing expert advice and discussion with REACH personnel.
* Peer review content REACH materials, including training modules.
* Develop no less than 5 case studies guided by the Lead Researcher
* Provide a list of 25 additional research materials which will be included in the Literacy Toolkit in the form of an annotated bibliography
* Develop a 5 page outline on two of the online training modules.
* Literature reviews and case studies for the Literacy Toolkit
Required Experience & Qualifications
* Minimum of 5 years experience developing and managing education research programs or networks involving at least three researchers
* Minimum of 10 years experience in education, preferably in reading or a closely related technical area, in developing countries
* Qualitative and quantitative experience required, in reading or a closely related technical area
* Wide range of publications and conference presentations preferred (this is broadly interpreted)
* Masters degree in related field required, PhD preferred
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
* Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
* High comfort level with writing reports, analyzing and summarizing data from diverse sources, and ability to deliver work on a timeline.
* Candidates with a range of publications and conference presentations preferred
* Professor/University researcher
* Experience in implementation and evaluation of educational interventions
* Served in Ministries of Education or related education sector with accumulated
University Research Co.,LLC
Website : http://www.urc-chs.com
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide.For 50 years, URC has sought to combine the idealism of academic research with the pragmatism necessary in the real world. URC took its name from the founding partners, university professors who brought together talented people from the academic and scientific communities to address challenges of the 1960s and 1970s such as Head Start, hospital modernization, alcohol and drug abuse, and model cities. In 1968, URC established a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), to link more directly with community services in the US. The late 1970s and the 1980s witnessed rapid growth: URC excelled in job competencies training and job analysis for early childhood educators, hospital personnel, drug abuse workers, criminal justice staff, and the military. URC specialized in training, technical assistance, and instructional design, successfully operating projects in substance abuse treatment, criminal justice, child support enforcement, community rehabilitation training, reducing school violence, and family planning. This was also a period of expansion into international work in the Philippines, Egypt, Colombia, and Tunisia through contracts with the United Nations and other organizations. In 1981, with the Primary Health Care Operations Research Project (PRICOR), URC began working internationally in public health and soon became the lead organization for primary health care operations research with the US Agency for International Development (USAID). For nearly 20 years, URC provided global leadership for health care quality assurance in USAID-supported programs through the Quality Assurance Project (QAP) I, II, and III. QAP provided technical assistance and conducted operations research on health care quality improvement. This work helped to raise awareness in countries and internationally that quality improvement (QI) is an essential component of health system strengthening and that quality standards and QI capacity development are vital to the development of health care systems in even the most resource-constrained countries. As the new millennium approached, URC added instructional technology to its portfolio, with projects for the US Army, Social Security Administration, US Navy, Office of Personnel Management, Federal Aviation Administration, and Goddard Space Flight Center. At that time, URC also launched major health communications, social marketing, and materials development programs, setting the stage for ground-breaking work to reduce cardiovascular and pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, cholesterol, asthma, obesity and nutrition, smoking, substance abuse, eye health, and teen pregnancy.