Research & Development Intern, Coatings Technology
Investigate properties of coating stress as a function of processing conditions to develop processing maps for existing commercial grades. Work in collaboration with commercial/marketing/customers to understand possible range of processing conditions and incorporate these into a designed experiment to determine the effect of each factor on coating material properties.
* Develop a designed experiment for each commercial coating of interest to cover processing factors of interest to customers
* Collaborate with commercial/marketing/customer to select 2-3 grades to test and outline factors and ranges
* Develop experimental design
* Prepare samples according to processing plan developed
* Spin, Flow, and Spray coating
* Excimer treatment
* Analyze samples for stress and other mechanical properties using testing equipment in Waterford R&D
* Prepare processing maps to guide customers
* Present results to commercial/marketing
* As part of next-steps, develop a weathering plan to determine effect of processing conditions (high/low initial stress conditions) on weathering performance
* Write a summary report and present results to global team
* Six Sigma and statistical training beneficial
* Comfortable working in a wet chemistry laboratory
* Excellent communication skills
* Previous industrial R&D experience highly desired
* BS Junior or Senior or PhD student
* Materials or Polymers Science major
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, minority status, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any characteristic protected by law.
In order to be considered for this position candidates are required to submit an application for employment through our career site, be at least 18 years of age, willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
Candidates are required to have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
If currently an employee of the Company, you must have current satisfactory work performance and in most cases, have been in your current role 18 months.
Disclaimer: We are not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms/employment agencies for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee about this position. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee of the Company via email, the Internet or in any other form and/or method without a valid written search firm agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of the Company; no fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by the Company as a result of the unsolicited referral or through other means.
Website : http://www.momentive.com/
Momentive was formed in October 2010 through the combination of the parent holding companies of Momentive Performance Materials Inc. and Momentive Specialty Chemicals Inc. (formerly known as Hexion Specialty Chemicals Inc.). Momentive is a global leader in specialty chemicals and materials, with a broad range of advanced specialty products that help industrial and consumer companies support and improve everyday life. Momentive uses its technology portfolio to deliver tailored solutions to meet the diverse needs of customers around the world.