Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group): Directs the Research Melting Engineering organization and collaborates with the Operations and Project Engineering groups to achieve cost, quality and service objectives while meeting all safety, health, and environmental requirements.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Meet all safety and environmental regulatory requirements.
• Lead RM Ops involvement in innovation and development processes to ensure continuous improvement and exceptional customer service.
• Establish a culture that values engineering competency and deployment of the scientific method.
• Increase the body of knowledge in support of advancing operations and process technologies and capabilities.
• Lead the increased Intellectual Property contributions of RM Operations.
• Provide focus and direction to personnel to assure knowledge and support of priorities and requirements.
• Foster regular collaboration and communication within own group and between other RM Operations groups, and provides technical linkage to internal customers, businesses, and S&T.
• Build effective relationships within the business, staff groups and with key customers and suppliers.
• Maintain and assure efficient operation of all plant assets and equipment.
• Assure growth in talent and capability of the Research Melter engineering staff.
• Increase the utilization of the RM Operation assets and technology as a Learning Platform for S&T and the businesses.
• Develop Quality Assurance and Quality Engineering systems and processing for RM Operations.
• Develop process capabilities and QA/QE for product development samples and small- scale manufacturing, as needed.
• Develop the technical platform strategy, working with the Director and other RM Ops Staff members.
• Propose, manage, and implement the expense and capital projects to achieve the overall technical strategy for RM Operations.
• Lead portions of the overall project portfolio, as is necessary.
Travel requirements: Minimum Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday Off-shift when required to provide department support Weekend team coverage
• Progressive responsibilities in operations and/or engineering leadership, including operations, or engineering department supervisor experience.
• Experience in leading teams and departments in meeting continuous improvement goals, step change performance improvements, innovation, expanding technical capability, work redesign or other change efforts.
• Experience coordinating activities within functional responsibility and collaborating with other groups to achieve results.
• Demonstrated record of engineering accomplishments.
• Demonstrated track record of growing talent.
• Understanding of costs and budgets.
• Knowledge of gaining Involvement to gain commitment to overall technical direction.
• Ability to lead and direct others, and build effective teams
• Drive towards results and commitment
Education and Experience:
• BS in Engineering required; MS is desirable; PhD is advantaging
• 5 to 7 years of industrial experience; glass melting / forming; Preference for fusion forming/melting
• Process Engineering orientation, with Project Engineering experiences; Technical SME
• Supervisory roles and experiences
• Experience in technical collaboration with staff engineering groups.
• Knowledge of Manufacturing Excellence Tools.
• Exposure to and understanding of the Technology Community network and resources.
• Experience in staff or project roles such as Quality or Applications Engineering, Supply Chain, Performance Excellence, or a project assignment.
• Understands use of data and analysis to identify root causes and solve problems.
• Detailed with excellent responsiveness and follow-up on action plans
• Can develop strategies for the 5-year technical platform plans, and new technology
• Team player.
• Good presentation skills.
• Adapts working style to fit situation need.
• Leverages talent effectively
• Inspires and motivates others
• Active Listening skills.
• Manages conflict resolution effectively; Interpersonal savvy
• Acts quickly and decisively
• Champion of change and flexibility
• Acts with integrity and authenticity
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Apply online at:
Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Years of Experience Required: 5
Education Required: Bachelors