Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Summarize the nature and level of work performed.
Type 2 immunity plays a critical role in tissue homeostasis and repair, but pathologic dysregulation of these same pathways can lead to allergic disease. The Barrett lab is interested in defining the innate cellular and molecular networks underlying the initiation and persistence of type 2 immunity at mucosal sites, where environmental determinants play a key role in both immunopathogenesis and health.
Our major projects involve using newer molecular techniques to define dominant immune signaling networks in human type 2 diseases such as asthma and nasal polyposis, identifying receptors that immune and structural cells use to sense the external environment, and understanding the mechanisms by which key immune molecules and cells exert their pathologic actions, including proinflammatory lipid mediators, the cysteinyl leukotrienes.
Working very independently with limited supervision from the Principal Investigator and other members of the Research Staff, and in accordance with established hospital policies and procedures, the senior TRA will be able to execute in vitro experiments on dendritic cells, mast cells, and airway epithelial cells, conduct and characterize mouse models of asthma, and perform in vitro gene silencing. The senior TRA will also participate in the design and modification of these protocols and the development of new protocols. The senior TRA will calculate, transcribe, and analyze data, will be responsible for training new staff, and will participate in the preparation of research reports and manuscripts.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
1. Assessment of sentinel cell activation. This includes culture of mouse and human dendritic cells, mast cells, and epithelial cells, stimulation and analysis of cell activation, and development and execution of a variety of gene silencing experiments.
2. Independent execution of in vivo experiments including the following techniques: bronchoalveolar lavage and cytospin, flow cytometric analysis of lung cells, qPCR, confocal imaging, serum immunoglobulin measurement, culture of lymph node cells, and assessment of cytokines from lymph node cultures.
3. Management of cell lines and long-term primary cell cultures.
4. Management of mouse colonies.
5. Laboratory management. This includes ordering laboratory reagents and supplies, generation cytokines needed for cell culture, maintainance of instruments, and coordination of lab activities including scheduling of procedures and quality assurance.
6. Training and supervision of summer students and fellows.
7. Maintainance of established written records of results according to established guidelines.
8. Analysis of data and participation in the preparation of research reports and manuscripts.
BS in biological/physical science required. 3-5 years of directly related progressively more responsible research experience is required.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: (MUST be realistic, neither overstated nor understated, and related to the essential functions of the job.)
1. Ability to follow a protocol accurately, be detail-oriented, work with a high level of precision, record the procedure and the data in a methodical and organized fashion.
2. Ability to identify problems and trouble shoot them independently.
3. Ability to learn new procedures/protocols/experiments with limited oversight.
4. Facility with Word and Excel.
5. Good oral and written communication skills and ability to effectively supervise others.
6. Ability to analyze data statistically and to logically present it.
7. Must have broad knowledge of scientific principles, biological structures, and laboratory techniques including RNA isolation, Qpcr, transfection, ELISA, immunofluorescence, cell line maintenance, animal work.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)